Category Archives: Nutrition
Physical inactivity has become a growing epidemic in the U.S., as well as around the world. We work longer hours, we eat more processed foods (and more fast food), and technology has become our “recreational” activity.
We have never been so sedentary and the costs associated with this type of lifestyle are increasing. We have higher insurance premiums and more medical expenses, including prescription and treatment costs.
These costs don’t stop with our physical bodies either. A study by The University of Illinois showed that the extra weight carried by vehicles as a result of obese and overweight Americans is responsible for almost one billion additional gallons of gasoline being burned each year by our automobiles—nearly 1 percent of our total gasoline usage.
Consider some of these facts:
- 1 in 10 Americans has diabetes and the average treatment expense per patient is $6,000 annually
- Diabetes costs our health care system $174 billion a year
- 1 in 3 Americans have some form of heart disease, including high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, stroke, heart failure and more
- The cost to treat heart disease will triple by 2030 if there aren’t investments and resources to help prevent heart disease
- Obesity has risen 34% since 1960
- Obesity has surpassed smoking in regards to healthcare expenses, and costs our nation $190 billion annually
What’s the answer to these rising healthcare costs? It’s actually quite simple; eat healthy and exercise regularly.
Regular physical activity can*:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease by 40%
- Lower the risk of stroke by 27%
- Reduce the incidence of diabetes by almost 50%
- Reduce the incidence of high blood pressure by almost 50%
- Reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease by 1/3
- Decrease depression
So you can see, exercise and nutrition are not only great for your body, but they are also great for your wallet!
We’ve had many members discuss their transformations and how our program has helped reduce or even eliminate the need for medications.
One of the best investments you can make is in your health! Exchange your pills with push-ups and your co-pays with kickboxing at Farrell’s eXtreme Bodyshaping!
P.S. – Summer sessions are starting as early as June 7th! Check your local Farrell’s location for session start dates and schedules here.