6 Ways to Get (and Stay) Motivated
Motivation is a psychological game. You’ve heard the phrase “mind over matter” and that’s exactly how you need to think about motivation. It’s that crucial piece of the puzzle to achieving your goals.
For some, motivation comes easy. For others, it doesn’t. Farrell’s eXtreme Bodyshaping is unique in that our community of members helps keep each other motivated and accountable. We also built in some nice motivators, like giving away $1,000 every session to the person(s) with the biggest transformation and giving even more away in our annual National Contest.
We also understand there are times when we hit roadblocks or setbacks. Learning how to stay motivated during those challenging times and continuing to work towards your goal is what matters most.
So we put together the below list of six ways to keep motivated:
- Make it a part of your routine. This sounds easy, but can be the most difficult. Schedules are getting busier and busier. Exercise is usually the first “to-do” to fall off the list, but it should be one of the last! You should be striving to make every gym class or setting aside a certain amount of time for fitness each day. If you can do this for at least 21 consecutive days, it will become a part of your daily routine, a habit, and harder to find an excuse not to do it.
- Keep it simple. Break your goals into small chunks, as it’s easier to complete. For examples, if you’ve already been attending Farrell’s for 10 weeks, what’s another 10 weeks? Missing days here and there are inevitable, but strive for physical activity every day!
- Make it fun. A great benefit of the Farrell’s program is the variety. Sure, you know which days are kickboxing and which are strength training, but you don’t always know who will be instructing and what they have in store for you! Working out by yourself (usually) isn’t fun and you’re probably not adding in variety. Remember, the more fun you’re having, the less likely you’ll be to drop it.
- Set goals.You’ve probably heard this a lot (our members sure have), but it works. These goals don’t have to be lofty. As much as “making it to every class this week” is simple enough, and easier to achieve. Set a small goal for yourself each week and tell others so they can help hold you accountable!
- Visualize. There’s lots of ways to visually keep motivated. If you’re a list-maker, include “workout” on your daily to-do list. Set out your workout clothes every night or pack your workout gear and set it by the door as a visual reminder.
- Reward yourself. We all need breaks – mentally and physically. In our program, our Fun Day is a reward for watching and eating right throughout the six days of the week. It’s meant to be a small break (one that won’t set you back) for all the hard work you’ve accomplished. We also offer $1,000 to every location for every session! That’s a pretty big motivator to attend every class and work at your level 10. It’s also a pretty big reward. Consider treating yourself to a spa day, or taking a fun trip somewhere (to show off your new body!). Rewards are great ways to stay motivated to work towards a goal and give us a little break.
Feeling a little unmotivated? Check out a few of our transformation stories!