Foods to Fight Allergies
We’re approaching allergy season and that means lots of sneezing, watery eyes and congestion. Turning to medicines and antihistamines aren’t the only options when it comes to fighting off or finding relief of seasonal allergies. Certain foods have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy benefits to assist in finding relief. Build these foods into your meal plans for allergy relief and to keep you on the mats working out at Level 10!
- Spicy foods can act as decongestants and help clear up sinus allergies. Foods such as horseradish, fennel, anise and even hot mustard can be used when you’re starting to feel stuffed up.
- Fruits high in Vitamin C help reduce inflammation and fight histamines, helping reduce allergy symptoms. Eat fruits like oranges, strawberries, watermelon and apples.
- Magnesium is a bronchodilator and an antihistamine, so foods rich in this chemical, such as almonds, cashews and wheat bran can help with allergy relief.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids have shown to provide relief to allergy sufferers as an anti-inflammatory agent and can be found in cold water fish, nuts and flaxseed.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables provide natural anti-inflammatory benefits for those who suffer allergies, and studies have shown that a diet rich in these foods can reduce the amount of wheezing and other allergy-related symptoms.